Due to an issue with the packaging of zip functionality within Fedora’s PHP package, the yum package php-zip, which was available for Fedora 15, is not available in Fedora 16. This is actually a “feature”, not a “bug”, but either way, getting zip support in PHP now takes a few extra steps.
1. Install dependencies as root or using sudo:
yum install pcre-devel gcc zlib zlib-devel
2. Install zip module using PECL (PEAR‘s sister):
pecl install zip
3. Edit the main PHP configuration file to register the new module. Add this text:
a few lines before this:
in /etc/php.ini, as root or using sudo, like this:
4. Restart your web server as root or using sudo:
service httpd restart
5. Check that support is enabled using phpinfo(). You should have a section on your phpinfo() page that looks like the image below.
That’s it, good luck 🙂
Thanks so much – just saved me a lot of hassle installing e-front on my desktop.
I needed to install php-devel as well to get it to go – which pecl told me when I tried to install zip with it. Other than that – it went perfectly.
thanks for your article. it helps me. you should add that to use pecl one must have installed php-pear before.